Flown From The Nest homepage

Flown From The Nest

Dedicated to every Norwich City Player since 1980

Latest News and Rumours

Clubs menu

Player records
Statistical records

Features subsection
Search this site
Email the webmaster

Jamie Cureton

Jamie Cureton
Norwich Career: 1994-1996, 2007-2010 (108 games, 23 goals)
Current Club: Arsenal (coach) / Maldon & Tipree (Isthmian League) (Coach)
Date of Birth: 28/08/1975 
Nationality: English


Jamie Cureton is a former England Youth international with a remarkable eye for goal. He scored 82 times in 90 Youth team matches and had a similarly impressive rate for the Reserves. However he has not always impressed the occupants of the Carrow Road managerial seats and was never a first team regular whether under John Deehan, Martin O'Neill , Gary Megson or Mike Walker. Prior to joining Norwich, Jamie had a week long trial aged 14 at Manchester United.  Sir Alex Ferguson called to offer him a contract. “When my Dad took the call from Sir Alex, I just said no. I was a United fan as well so I’m not sure why – maybe loyalty to Norwich, where I already was, or perhaps I thought I would not get the same chance to break through at United,. I’d been up to Old Trafford at Easter and in the summer holidays and the others were all there – David Beckham’s only a few months older than me. The one thing that group did not have was a prolific centre-forward, which I was, so you wonder what might have been. But you can’t dwell on it too much. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my career and I still love it.”

He made his debut in a goalless draw against Everton on 5th November 1994 and scored his first senior goal just thirteen seconds after coming on as substitute against Chelsea on December 10th 1994. At the start of the 1996-1997 season, Jamie had made 29 league appearances for the Canaries scoring six times. Of these, the most striking was the April 1996 derby with Ipswich in which Jamie sported a remarkable green hairstyle. A spell on loan to Bournemouth produced another 5 appearances. The return of Mike Walker as Norwich manager did not provide any further opportunities for Jamie to play for the first team. A successful loan spell at Bristol Rovers where he scored with frightening regularity was followed by a permanent move to this his hometown side.

Norwich fans wished Jamie all the best especially as there was a sell-on clause in the transfer deal. In the 1998 close season, Bristol Rovers made all their squad available for transfer in order to generate funds to keep top scorer Barry Hayles at the club. Jamie's 13 goals made him a potential target. Since Hayles joined Fulham in mid November 1998 for £2million, a greater reliance was placed on Jamie to score the goals for Rovers. Jamie lived up to this on Saturday 16th January 1999 when he scored four goals for Rovers in their 6-0 away win against Reading. The unlucky Royals keeper was Scott Howie. Jamie's form for Bristol Rovers earned him the attention of both Birmingham City and Norwich. He ended the 1998/99 season as the Second Division's leading scorer with 29 goals.

According to Yahoo's Teamtalk service, Burnley made enquiries about taking Jamie to Turf Moor for the new season.
Jamie's impressive form continued into the 1999/2000 season and Sport First reported on 7th November that Tottenham had made initial enquiries although they had also been linked with Wimbledon's Carl Cort, Man United's Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Celtic's Marc Viduka. If Tottenham opted for Jamie's services, they would face competition from Fulham, Bolton and Wolves, according to the 28th November edition of Sport First. They predict a 1.5million move before the New Year. In January 2000, Sport First speculated that Jamie would be joining Leicester for 2million despite interest from Spurs and Aston Villa. On 30th January 2000, the Sunday People reported that West Bromwich Albion were looking to spend the 4million received from Juventus for Enzo Maresca on a new forward. Jamie was mentioned along with Fulham's Barry Hayles although Teamtalk added Iwan Roberts to this shortlist. The West Brom link resurfaced on 14th May 2000 in The Sunday Mirror whilst other sources strongly linked Jamie with a move to First Division Stockport County with Jamie supposedly disillusioned at Rovers' failure to gain promotion.

In July 2000, both Jamie and his striking partner Jason Roberts requested transfers and were placed on the transfer list. Scottish side Hibs stepped in with a transfer bid on 23rd July 2000 rumoured to be either 350,000 or 500,000. Rovers dismissed the bid as being too small though Jamie expressed an interest in joining a big club like Hibs. Despite the hopes of Norwich fans that Jamie would re-sign for the Canaries to replace Craig Bellamy, Jamie instead signed for Reading on 21st August 2000 for a fee of 250,000. Jamie's goals were instrumental in taking Reading to a place in the Division Two play-off finals but despite scoring the opening goal in the final at the Millennium Stadium, Reading lost 3-2 to Walsall and so will remain in Division 2 for another season. Reading's failure to gain promotion provoked comments from Cureton as to the future of his own career. These in turn sparked speculation from the likes of Teamtalk who suggested that ambitious/wealthy Cardiff would be keen to sign him. West Bromwich Albion were also linked with the possibility of renewing Jamie's striking partnership with ex-Rovers forward Jason Roberts. This move became more likely following the Baggies' sale of Lee Hughes to Coventry for 5million in August 2001 although any such move would take place after Jamie returned from the injuries that prevented him making the start of the 2001/02 season.

In January 2002, Jamie was linked with a move to QPR as he had not been a regular in the Reading side. However he stayed in Berkshire and scored the equaliser in the 20th April clash with Brentford that gave Reading second place in Division Two and promotion. Speculation linked Jamie with a £400k return to Norwich in December 2002 as he was not playing in Reading's starting eleven. Jamie had hinted earlier in the season that he would not rule out a return to Carrow Road when his contract expires at the end of the 2002/03 season. The media also speculated that Charlton boss Alan Curbishley might make a move for Cureton during the January 2003 transfer window whilst Bolton were also said to be keen.

At the end of the season, he was linked with a move to QPR where he would team again with manager Ian Holloway who had been at Rovers with him. Bristol Rovers are also said to be keen to re-sign Jamie whilst Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is said to be a big fan. Jamie revealed that he also had interest from clubs in Korea and the USA, and he embarked on a trial with DC United - with whom Paul Dalglish had trialled the previous year. Bristol City were the next club said to show an interest in Cureton's services - possibly as part of a deal that would take one of City's starlets (Murray or Doherty) to Reading.

Whilst Jamie hoped for contact from Norwich City, whom he described as a "special club, this was not forthcoming. Therefore he opted to sign for his old manager Ian Porterfield who was managing South Korean side Pusan Icons (also Busan Icons). Jamie signed in early July for the Icons an eighteen month contract that will see him through to November 2004. Jamie said that of the offers from English sides there was "nothing to match what has been offered to me in Korea". He described the facilities as Premiership in style and the standard of the game as comparable to the English Division One. Prior to his move, Jamie had scored 139 goals in 365 matches in English competitive football.

Jamie didn't settle in Korea and was released from his contract in November 2003. Whilst QPR were the favourities to sign him, Bristol City were also been linked as have Brighton. In the first week of January 2004, Jamie joined Sunderland on trial. Bristol City manager Danny Wilson also revealed that he had been in close contact with Jamie's agent. BBC Ceefax linked Jamie with a move to Peterborough on Thursday 29th January 2004. This was reported as a done deal in many other media sources but Jamie surprisingly signed for QPR, on 2nd February 2003, whose manager Ian Holloway he knew from his time with Bristol Rovers. His first few months at Loftus Road finished with QPR promoted into Division One.

In March 2005, speculation linked Cureton with a move to Rangers' West London neighbours Brentford but this was dismissed by Bees' manager Martin Allen. In May 2005, QPR announced that they wouldnot renew Jamie's contract. Cureton and colleague Tony Thorpe were linked with a move to Swindon on May 23d 2005. This materialised on 1st July 2005 with Thorpe signing a one year deal with Swindon and Cureton signing for two years. They replaced Ipswich-bound Sam Parkin. Jamie was unable to make an impact in the Swindon first team and on 21st October, was loaned to Colchester initially for a month, making his debut the following day as substitute against Tranmere. In the end, Jamie stayed at Colchester until the beginning of January 2005. He scored seven goals in nine starts for the U's as they went on a uccessful streak of losing just once in fourteen games. Colchester are hoping that Swindon will loan Cureton to them again later in the season. This didn't happen but following Swindon's relegation to League Two, a clause in Cureton's contract suggested that he would be free to leave the County Ground. Colchester were then linked with a swoop for him on 28th May 2006 in The News of the World. This came true on 5th June 2006 with Cureton indeed invoking a clause in his contract to ensure a free transfer following Swindon's relegation

Cureton had an impressive first season at Layer Road with his 24 goals winning him the Championship's Golden Boot award. On 5th June 2007, he handed in a transfer request stating that he is concerned the club's ambitions do not match his. The 31-year-old had one year to run on his current contract and it is understood the club have been negotiating an extension with him. Former club Norwich admitted that they were keen to sign him and Cureton expressed a desire to return to Norwich. Hull City also made a bid of £250,000 but Colchester replied saying they wanted three times that figure. Jamie returned to Norwich on 29th June 2007 for an undisclosed fee. He made his second debut for Norwich in the 5-2 defeat of Barnet in the first round of the Carling Cup on 14th August 2007 with Jamie scoring twice - the first coming just over two minutes into the match.

Cureton scored his first senior hat-trick for the Canaries in the 5-1 win over his former club Colchester United on 22nd March 2008.This took him to a career total of 199 goals.He finished his first season back with the Canaries scoring 14 goals.

Out of favour at Norwich during the autumn of 2008, Cureton asked to go out on loan to get some first team fitness. On 27th November 2008, he was loaned to Barnsley for three months, although Norwich can recall him within 24hrs after 28days. He made his debut in the 1-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest on 29th November 2008. Akthough ineligible for Barnsley's match at Carrow Road on 17th January 2009, Norwich recalled Cureton on 14th January 2009 shortly after the sacking of Glenn Roeder.

Falling out of manager Paul Lambert's plans in the autumn / winter 2009, speculation was rife that Cureton would be off-loaded in the January 2010 transfer window and on 4th January, Cheltenham manager Mark Yates was rumoured to have Cureton on his wish-list whilst Gillingham were also linked. Instead Jamie signed for Shrewsbury on 17th February 2010 on loan until the end of the 2009/10 season. He returned on 6th May 2010 having played 12 games for the Shrews but without scoring.

On 14th May 2010, Norwich announced that they would not be renewing Jamie's contract that was due to expire at the end of the 2009/10 season. He had made 8 appearances, scoring twice during 2009/10

At the end of May 2010, Jamie was linked with a move to Walsall. Jamie said: “I’d be interested, definitely. They are a good club and I’ve always enjoyed playing there. It’s the area I want to get to, because it’s close to Bristol and my family are there. It appeals me and I’m waiting for the phone to ring. I’ve always enjoyed playing there, they play a good brand of football and I know Darren Byfield as well.”

Cureton then joined Exeter on trial in July 2010, saying "It would definitely interest me if I was offered something at Exeter. It's been good down there so far. Training has been enjoyable, the lads are a good bunch and I have been really impressed with the training ground, so I have enjoyed every minute I have been down there so far.'

After singing on non-contract terms and playing in the Grecians' first two league games of the 2010/11 season as substitute, he was offered and signed a permanent contract with Exeter on 26th August 2010. After scoring 10 goals for Exeter, he signed an extended contract until the end of the 2010/11 season

In June 2011, Cureton was linked with a return to Bristol Rovers following his 20 goals for Exeter (which earned him the player of the year award), with Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale admitting he's unlikely to be able to hang on to the striker. Cureton told the Pink Un that he was looking to move on again as his family are still based in Essex. Cureton said: “We spoke about a contract but I felt I wanted to see what options were out there. I had to live away from my missus, who was in Essex, all last season so the plan for the summer was to see what other options there were and it looks as if I can make a decision next week.”

Jamie signed for Leyton Orient on a one year contract at the beginning of July 2011. “The fact Leyton Orient did well last year was a big factor in me wanting to come here,” said Cureton. “I was impressed with the way they played, they had a good set-up and only just missed out on the play-offs. The manager is very enthusiastic and wanted to bring me to the club.“He spoke very well about what his plans were and that impressed me. “It’s a club that wants to give it a really good go. I don’t want to be somewhere that’s just happy to sit around – Orient look like they are moving in the right direction and there is no reason why we can’t do very well in the league again.”

Jamie returned to Exeter on 2nd March 2012 on loan until the end of the season. In a first for Exeter one of the club's sponsors, solicitors firm Follett Stock, will fund Cureton's wages. "Jamie's not featuring in their team at present and a few things seemed to fit in place," manager Paul Tisdale said. "We agreed it today with Leyton Orient and we're very pleased that he's going to spend the remainder of the season with us."

However his arrival was not enough to prevent Exeter being relegated to League Two on 28th April 2012.

He left Orient in May 2012 when his contract expired and was quickly linked with a return to Bristol Rovers after scorign a hat-rtick for a Rovers' Legends side.

On 31st July 2012, Jamie signed for Exeter along with Matt Oakley although the Grecians refused to say how long their contract were for. It was later revealed in an article with FourFourTwo that it was a one year contract

Despite being 37, Jamie was named in FourFourTwo magazine's Top 50 Football League players (in 50th position) as he was the second leading scorer in League Two at the time of publication.

Despite scoring 21 goals in 42 appearances during 2012/13, Exeter announced on 3rd May 2013 that they would not be renewing his contract when it expired at the end of June 2013 as the Grecians had a reduced playing budget for 2013/14. He then entered talks with Cheltenham Town He eventually signed a one year cottract with Cheltenham on 17th June 2013. "I was quite settled at Exeter but they weren't able to offer me a contract," Cureton told BBC Gloucestershire. "I've seen the progress the club [Cheltenham] has made after playing against them and I was impressed."

Cureton scored his 250th career goal in Cheltenham's clash with Dagenham on 12th October 2013.

Cureton was released by Cheltenham at the end of the 2013/14 season (7th May 2014) despite scoring 11 goals in 36 appearances. He was then linked with Conference new boys Torquay and Bristol Rovers as well as Dagenham and a return to Cheltenham. He eventually signed a one year contract with Dagenham on 24th July 2014. Dagenham are the 14th club of his playing career. His 19 goals in the 2014/15 season saw him finish as second highest scorer in the division.

Nine goals in 43 appearances could not prevent Dagenham & Redbridge being relegated from League Two on April 16th 2016. Cureton left the Daggers and sought a League Two club to play for in 2016/17.

In July 2016, Cureton trained with former club Colchester United to keep fit but played against them for Maldon & Tiptree in a pre-season friendly

In August 2016, he signed a short term contract with Southern League side Farnborough whilst still hoping for a contract with a league side. He switched to Conference side Eastleigh on 22nd September 2016.

On 1st December 2016, Cureton left Eastleigh following the departure of manager Ronnie Moore and the arrival of Martin Allen. He signed for St Albans City on 8th December 2016. Saints manager, Ian Allinson, said: “Jamie has always been a goalscorer and when he became available I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to bring him to Clarence Park and strengthen the squad as we go into a busy period. We have had to beat of competition from a number of different clubs to secure Jamie’s signature, I would like to thank the owners for backing me with this deal.”

In June 2017, Cureton was part of the England team that won the Veterans World Cup in Thailand. Cureton was the star performer in the tournament as he scored in every game to secure England victory, netting in their opening 7-0 win over the USA, scoring a brace in a 2-1 win over New Zealand before also getting on the scoresheet twice in a 6-1 semi-final rout of Australia. England faced Iran in the final, with Cureton and Lee Trundle scoring to earn a 2-0 win that saw the side retain the trophy.

On 13th September 2016, it was reported that Jamie had joined Arsenal's academy as a coach working with the Under-15s and Under-16s whilst continuing his playing career with Farnborough.He also had dual registration with St Albans City. In January 2018, he moved to Bishops Stortford, making his debut on New Years Day against Royston Town. The move was funded by Bishop Stortford's fans. Farnborough were unable to continue paying his travelling expenses

During the early part of the 2018/19 season, Cureton became joint interim manager along with Steve Smith following the departure of Adam Flint. He then became the sole player-manager during the 2018/19 campaign.

He set a record in October 2019 when he became the first player to ever score in the top nine tiers of English football, when he scored in the Essex Senior League for Enfield - at the equivalent level to Wroxham and Norwich United. he had signed dual registration forms with Enfield who ground-share with Bishops Stortford

On 4th February 2020, he left Bishops Stortford afte rthey could not provide him with assurances as to his future as player and/or manager at the club. He then signed for Hornchurch of the Isthmian League, his 20th club. He scored his first goal for Hornchurch in his third appearances for them, despite being 44 years old.

On 29th June 2020 he signed for his 21st club joining Enfield FC of the Essex Senior League as a player-coach. He took over as player-manager in September 2020. During the 2022/23 season he guided Enfield to the Essex Senior League title and promotion.

He parted company with Enfield on 11th September 2023. On 7th October 2023, he announced his retirement from playing and took a coaching role with Maldon & Tiptree in the Isthmian League.

Official Norwich City website

All statistics on this site are accurate as of end of 2011/12 season
This page on Flown From The Nest was last updated on and is © Steve Whitlam 1997-2013.
This information may only be reproduced if acknowledgement is given to this website and a link provided